Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The Amazing Race--CRAZY DAY

In the mornings I am the "curriculum guru" for an all-girls high school in Milwaukee. It's an interesting position for me. I was totally thrilled when the opportunity literally fell into my lap. I LOVE curriculum--rubrics, in-service training, alignment, teaching, learning, and assessment...I don't know what's wrong with me...I just love this stuff. So I thought to myself, "THIS IS PERFECT." Well...it's good experience and some of it I find extremely life-giving (especially when I get to plan and lead and in-service), but most of it isn't really "fueling my fire" so-to-speak. I think this is OK because it's one of those things that I never would have known until I tried it...so it's one of those groaner, "learning experiences". Woo hoo...

Anyway...flash forward a little bit...I've accepted a principalship at an elementary school for next year. That makes me more nervous that I've ever been in my life! (I'm sure I'll have the opportunity to write about that someday :) ) Lately, I've been a little bummed out...and I know exactly why too. Then today happened...it was a delightfully CRAZY day...it put somethings into perspective for me. So here's the scoop: (abridged version)

All of the administrators were out of the building today, which left the guidance counselor in charge. I was happily at my computer creating some rubrics (yeee hah) when I heard some profanity and "action" out in the hall. I ran out in the hall to discover a situation among two of the girls. The guidance counselor needed my help...so I took one and she took the other. Well...the one I had took off running...so...logically I started running after her! (All those years of basketball and soccer really came in handy). We were on this zig-zaggy sprint through the school when she realized that I wasn't going anywhere (and I must say that I was quite proud of myself for being able to keep up as out of shape as I am!) she slowed down. I had my "don't mess with me, no nonsense" face on. LONG story short we got her back to the office and the situation manageable.

Now before you ask yourself, "what does this have to do with anything?" I'll tell you...it was this huge confidence booster...like "Cool...I can do this...I can handle wacky, dangerous situations at the drop of a hat...and actually I didn't do to bad at it either?!" I'm good with discipline and management of people...so I thought "well...this is much more the principal speed; so I guess I'm heading in the right direction." I was happy to be available to help and made me think I'm a bit calmer as I start to think of myself as a principal. It was the most exciting day I've had in a long time! Ha! Hoo rah rah.

So my adventure continues...never a dull moment for me that's for sure. Maybe instead of the "fun nun" I could be called "run nun"...naw...that's a little too much; even for me!

Peace out..yo!

No comments: